Welcome!! I am spending the next year working my way through 52 Small Changes:One year to a Happier, Healthier You by Brett Blumenthal. Life happens, it happens to all of us. Our tendency is to say, “I missed two weeks, I might as well give up”. I don’t believe that, I just keep moving forward at our own pace. We all have different challenges in our life, but join me in continuing to move forward. We will all make it to the end in our own time and will be happier and healthier for it. I am 8 weeks into my journey to become healthier and happier. I am glad you have joined me and I hope you are seeing positive changes. As I am sure you are noticing I am not posting each week as I had planned. I could just write posts and schedule them to post, but this is my journey and I am really walking each step of it. Yes, there are some weeks where I am unable to post, but each week I personally want to be working on changing my life.
Life happens, it happens to all of us. Our tendency is to say, “I missed two weeks, I might as well give up”. I don’t believe that, I just keep moving forward at my own pace. We all have different challenges in our life, but join me in continuing to move forward. We will all make it to the end in our own time and will be happier and healthier for it.
This Week’s Change: Consume at least four to six servings of fibrous vegetables per day. (One serving = 1/2 cup of non-leafy vegetables or 1 cup leafy vegetables)
My Current Habit: I actually do pretty good most days with this change. I have 2-3 servings of vegetables at work and 2 more at our evening meal.
Bret Blumenthal provides some hints to increase daily intake of vegetables:
1. Start with vegetables you like. Everyone likes a few.
3. Prepare for the week ahead – make a menu including vegetables and ensure you have the ingredients readily available for the week.
4. Ensure you have frozen vegetable as backup at times.
5., Add veggies to your breakfast by throwing some spinach and mushrooms into egg whites.
6. Lunch – salads are the easiest way to add veggies to your day. I eat a salad most days. Supper – I usually include a salad as well a side vegetable with the meal. Having a sandwich, load it with extra vegetables.
7. Soups are a great way to include more vegetables in your day.
8. Keep pre-cut veggies in the fridge for snacks.
Changes I would like to make: Include a salad at supper each night and an additional vegetable. Try new recipes to introduce new veggies to the family.
Last Week’s Change: Keep Allergens Out of Your Home
How did you do last week?? This is an area that we are doing pretty well with due to my health problems with asthma. I did make a point to clean out the air filter on the furnace and have added it to my calendar to remind me twice monthly to clean it. One thing that works for me is to add reminders (such as Clean Furnace Filter) into my calendar on my phone. Now, if I could just remember not to dismiss the event until I actually do it!! I even have a reminder that say “Get ready for Bed” so I stop staying up too late!!
Stop by for the next change and share your progress. Since I am not always consistent with my weekly postings, subscribe to the blog and never miss a week of this “52 Weeks to Healthier and Happier You” series!
1. Hydrate with water.
2. Get 7 – 8 Hours of Sleep
3. Get Routine Activity Every Day
4. Keep a Food Journal
5. Develop an Optimistic Outlook
6. Multivitamin Daily
7. Keep Allergens Out of Your Home
8. Have 4 to 6 Servings of Vegetables a Day